Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Comfortable

AH! I'm almost done with grad school. I have completed all of my required courses and am now involved in an internship at a local private counseling practice. To most this would be super exciting. While I am happy to be nearing the end of school for now, this nearness of the end also brings great anxiety. Why? Because what comes next is.... THE REAL WORLD...duh duh duh. I am comfortable in school. I enjoy it. I enjoy not having to work 8+ hours a day, five days a week, because I'm "still a student." The real world brings uncertainty, especially in today's economy where jobs are hard to find. I'm not sure if I'm ready to join the real world. 


Then I think about my purpose and about what God has designed me to do - to worship Him and to become more like Him each and every day of my existence and to guide others to Him as well. This is pretty easy to do when you are surrounded by Christians at one of the largest Christian universities in the world. This too has become comfortable. Almost so comfortable that some days it's meaning is no longer something great and special in my life... it's just "normal." I don't work hard at it anymore...because if I don't feel like stepping up to encourage one of my discouraged classmates or co-workers, I can know someone else throughout the day will...it's a big university after all...so no big deal. Wrong attitude! 


Here is the point. COMFORT = COMPLACENCY


I like being comfortable, but I'm tired of it. I've been thinking about this more and more over the past week. I'm tired of being comfortable...of knowing what each day will hold. I'm tired of just coasting and waiting for weekends. I want to fulfill me purpose to the fullest! To serve God with my whole heart...to go out of my way to serve Him! 


GOD DOES NOT CALL US TO BE COMFORTABLE! In fact, He states the opposite to be true. 2 Timothy 3:12-13 says, "In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived."


Bring on the real world! 

No comments: