Saturday, January 29, 2011

Our 2-Week Challenge

So, Rob and I eat out a lot.  Definitely too much.  Since I've been working full time, it's so much easier to stop and grab something to eat on the way home than take time to cook once we get home.  And this semester is one of our craziest as Rob has class until 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursday (I go to the library and do homework from 5-6:30) and then I have zumba on those same nights at 8.  Wednesday nights, we get off work at 5 or a little after, and have to be in Bedford which is 30 minutes away by 6:30 for youth group.  Friday night we usually designate as date night. 

So, tonight Rob and I were talking about where we'd like to go out to eat for Valentine's Day (which we are actually celebrating on Saturday, the 12th).  Somehow that conversation turned into how we need to eat out less.  I then came up with a challenge for us:  We do not eat out at all until Valentine's Day.  If we fail the challenge, we eat at home for Valentine's Day and spend the money we'd normally use for dinner that night on groceries.  Rob agreed to it, and now that is our challenge for the next 2 weeks.  I am excited to try it and see how much money we save...but also know that it means I need to do more planning ahead as far as meals go so that it lessens the temptations to just grab something quick on the way home.  I think I'm going to try to use my crock pot more.  I use it every now and then...but not nearly enough.  Another strategy is to make some casseroles and then split them into gladware for lunches for the week, so that we can just grab them out of the fridge in the morning....and get some fruit and crackers for snacks.

So, I'll keep you posted on how things go! :)    

    

No comments: