Monday, February 22, 2010

The Power of a Positive Attitude

School has been killing me lately.  It has been insane.  One thing that God has shown me lately, through my text books and class discussions (that's the great thing about being a counseling student, the majority of what you learn can easily be applied to your daily life, what math or business student can say that?) is that:

ALTHOUGH OFTEN YOU CAN'T CONTROL THE SITUATION, YOUR ATTITUDE HAS THE POWER TO INFLUENCE THE SITUATION

I love this and have been applying to my life and.... IT WORKS!

One example - this woman who works down the hall from me is a real debbie downer, and one of my biggest pet peeves is when people automatically see the negative in everything, because I am exactly the opposite.  I had begun to kind of just focus on my work and not say much to her when she would be in our office, because her negativity would frustrate me.  I decided to try out my new found approach on her one day.  When she came in, before she even had a chance to say anything, in a real upbeat tone of voice I gave her a complement and smiled at her real big.  She sat down in our office and did not say one negative thing the whole time she was there.  Her entire attitude was different.  It works!

I am now on the lookout to see what other situations I can influence with a good attitude, so watch out!

No comments: