Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Honeymoon Stage.....No Such Thing

Rob and I have been married for over 2 years now, and the other day I told someone that, and they were like "oh, so you guys are still in the honeymoon stage." That kind of got me thinking... Why should any couple ever leave the "honeymoon stage"? If the honeymoon stage is characterized by googly eyes for each other, lovey dovey acts to one another, and an attitude of doing anything to make the other happy.....why should that ever end? I don't think it should be called the "honeymoon stage" I think it should be called "a loving marriage." By thinking about this I think that my eyes have been opened and that I have become more intentional on making sure that Rob and I never leave the so called "honeymoon stage." We love being in love, and don't ever want to be ashamed of it, or stop doing the things we do to show each other how much we love each other.

I think it is also important for our future kids to see us love each other...it brings them so much security knowing that they don't have to worry about mom and dad ever splitting up. I know I found security in knowing my parents love each other...I still do, and I want our kids to get the same.

I talked to this man a few days ago who told me that he had been married for 15 years to a woman, then they got a divorce. This totally blows my mind. I don't understand how a person could share 15 years of their life with another person, and then decide that they no longer love them anymore and can't even tolerate them enough to work things out. I know that it's not normally an overnight decision; I heard that on average, couples have marriage problems for 7 years before actually splitting up. That is so sad! I can't imagine not being happy for 7 whole years. I think it is so important for couples to get professional help right away when tension is consistent for a long amount of time....aka more than just a small argument that is concluded and forgotten. As humans, we are so prideful and do not want to admit that we need help, but that pride can ultimately ruin our lives and keep us from being happy.

I am looking forward to a long and happy life married to Rob. No matter what happens in our lives, I know that God will always get us through and that our love for each other will overcome all adversity, no matter how hard things get. I will never stop having googly eyes for my husband, or stop holding his hand, or giving him random hugs constantly throughout the day.... I love him.... that's what love is. Couples who have "moved on" past that stage are missing out.

No comments: