Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day...Finally!

So, today is finally election day. I'm so glad. I am so sick of all the campaign commercials and character bashing. It's not limited to just the presidential candidates, it's also the local candidates. It's gone on for so many months, and now it's finally over! But yes, I did do my civic duty and voted early this morning before taking Rob to work. I'm always curious to know if my vote really even matters. But I decided that if all people were like me and wondered if their vote really makes any difference and then we all don't vote, then I'm sure that would make a difference, so I voted, and it did feel nice because I am an American. After voting and taking Rob to work I went to the gym where all the TV channels were on news stations and so was the radio, and I kept hearing people say "Vote Responsibly." What exactly does that mean? It doesn't even make sense to say. What someone else may deem as responsible voting may be what I consider irresponsible voting. Makes no sense.

One thing that adds a whole new perspective to Election Day is Romans 13:1 whice states that "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." This verse obviously brings up the question of well what if the authorities stand for something that is not acceptable to God, like abortion or same-sex marriages? We have to remember that God isn't waiting like we are to see who wins this election and then will plan around that. No, He knows who and He has a purpose for whatever happens! It is important to remember that although we are called to obey worldly authority, our identity does not come from this world, and our security does not come from this economy.

Welcome to freedom from campaign ads, at least for a little over 3 years until the next election begins.

No comments: